main content

Accommodation, insurance, studying with a child

Vier Studenten beim Kochen in einer WG
Even when you have been promised a study place, some practical questions need to be clarified. How do I live? How do I have to insure myself? These are just some of the questions that you need to look into now.   © Stephan Floss

As a student, you must always have a health and nursing-care insurance, either through your parents’ family insurance or through student health insurance.

Family insurance
If you have still not attained 25 years of age (plus military service or community service), you can be covered by your parents’ family insurance and are not yet obliged to pay your own contribution. If you have a job on the side, you should observe the earnings thresholds, otherwise you will not be covered by the family insurance.

It is possible to apply for an exemption from the insurance obligation in the statutory health insurance fund (§ 8 of the Social Security Code, SGB V), for example, if there is co-insurance with a family member’s private insurance fund. The application for exemption from the statutory insurance obligation can be obtained from the statutory health insurance company where you were last insured. If there was no membership in the statutory health insurance, the application can be made to all statutory health insurance companies. The certificate of exemption from statutory health insurance must be submitted to the university at the time of enrolment.

Student health insurance
Until you attain 30 years of age or until the end of the 14th semester, low rates of the statutory student health insurance apply for you. Student health insurance costs the same in all statutory health insurance companies. Those who change their subject or complete a second degree can also remain covered by the student health insurance. This also applies to a change of subject or a second degree.

Accident insurance
Students are covered by the statutory accident insurance and are therefore insured for all activities that are causally related to attending a university (including the routes to and from the university and excursions and internships).


Shared flat or hostel? 10 percent of students nationwide stay in hostels. For comparison: 29 percent of all German students live in shared flats, 17 percent live alone in an independent apartment and 20 percent share an apartment with their partner.

It is best to start your search in good time. You can start searching as soon as you apply for a study place. Studentenwerk centres will be happy to help you.

There are 58 Studentenwerk centres in Germany. They look after about 2.4 million students from over 300 universities at around 200 locations, and offer a wide range of options in the areas of university food service, accommodation, student finance, childcare, counselling and placement services and culture. They also take into account the needs of students with disabilities, international students and students with children. In Saxony, four Studentenwerk centres take care of over 100,000 students studying at universities here:

Studentenwerk Chemnitz-Zwickau

Chemnitz, Zwickau, Schneeberg
Standort Chemnitz
Thüringer Weg 3; 09126 Chemnitz
Telefon: 0371 5628-0

Standort Zwickau
Innere Schneeberger Straße 23, 08056 Zwickau
Telefon: 0375 2710-0

Studentenwerk Dresden

Dresden, Görlitz, Zittau, Tharandt
Fritz-Löffler-Straße 18, 01069 Dresden
Tel: 0351 46 97 50

Studentenwerk Freiberg

Freiberg, Mittweida, Roßwein
Agricolastraße 14/16, 09599 Freiberg
Tel: 03731 38 31 00

Studentenwerk Leipzig

Goethestraße 6, 04109 Leipzig
Tel: 0341 9 65 95


All Saxon universities provide favourable conditions for studying with a child. Almost all universities are already certified as family-friendly universities.

You can find more information on their websites:

Universities work closely with Studentenwerk centres to ensure a balance between study and family life. The four Saxon Studentenwerk centres will be happy to help you out with this aspect too: Chemnitz/Zwickau , Dresden , Freiberg  and Leipzig.

You can also find useful tips and information at and/or .

Back to top