main content

International students in Germany

Zwei Studierende und ein Professor an der TU Chemnitz © Stephan Floss

Around 17,000 foreign students study at Saxon universities. Would you also like to study in Saxony? Saxony welcomes students from all over the world. The Free State of Saxony offers a wide range of courses. You need to fulfil some criteria before embarking upon your studies here.

The two most important requirements are adequate knowledge of German and an equivalent school or university degree. For German-language study programmes, international applicants must pass a language test for university admission. All language certificates must be issued in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (GER).

From the DAAD admission database or on the anabin website of the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB), you can find out whether your school leaving certificate qualifies you to study at a German university or whether you need to attend a preparatory college.

If you are a student applicant from an EU member state or from one of the contracting states of the European Economic Area (EEA) - Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway -  you have to submit your admission application directly to the university where you would like to study later - this applies for all study programmes.


  • a level of education equivalent to the German higher education entrance qualification (university entrance qualification): by submitting proof or passing a proficiency test
  • Language skills
  • Meeting university-specific requirements


The application for a study place is made in writing.

  • Fill out the enrolment application and all other application documents completely and enclose the required proofs
  • Submit the application with all documents to the responsible university body, which takes decisions related to admission. Observe submission deadlines
  • You will receive an admission or rejection notice.

Admission notice: the notice contains information about the deadlines for accepting the study place and enrolment at the university.

Rejection notice: you will be informed about your position based on the average grade and waiting time and about the move-up procedure. The move-up procedure allows you to get a study place for a short-term despite a rejection. This happens when applicants get admission but do not accept it.

Required documents:

  • In addition to the relevant lists of individual grades, qualifications that enable university studies in the country of origin (e.g. Matura, baccalaureate, School Leaving Certificate, General Certificate of Education GCE) and acquired higher education or university certificates (also from colleges, academies etc.)
  • Documents or certificates of university entrance examinations passed abroad and, if available, enrolment or study certificates
  • For German-language study programmes: proof of German language skills
  • Information on your education and career to date with a complete overview of your previous education in a tabular form

Note: the respective university will inform you about what other documents you need to submit.


  • The admission application should be submitted in good time within the application period
  • Therefore, contact the International Office at the university where you would like to study well in advance and find out about the relevant costs and deadlines.



Back to top